Frequently asked Questions
Using Llandow Tuning
Every other remap/tuner with a location has at some point been operating as a "mobile remapper" / "file slinger" installing files on behalf of remote companies with nothing remotly custom about the tune.
Whilst there were others offering tuning before us in 2004 in Wales, they don't still exist. Indeed the competitors that have been around nearly as long as us (of which there are two) one is no longer owned by the same people thus the quality is gone through the floor and they have resorted to being a reseller to one of the UKs larger second rate tuner.
- We believe in Quality before Quanity
- We are the longest established
- We are completely independent
- ALL our equipment is Master equipment and we have NEVER owned or had in our POSSESION any equipment from another tuner let alone acted as someone other tuners agent (Nobody else can claim that in Wales)
- We've tuned more car in Wales than any other Welsh based tuner
- We believe that if you come for a free consulation you'll agree with us, that we are the best in Wales
The questions you need to ask yourself is:-
- Why doesn't the Mobile Remapper have a workshop?
- When it goes wrong (and it often does), where is the vehicle to be repaired and by whom?
- If the guy bricks the ECU, will you be able to deal with the excuses or just let him disappear?
- Over 90% of Mobile tuner aren't tuners, aren't mechanics, aren't technicans but are simply people that have signed up to a reseller scheme, with a car, a laptop and some money to invest in some tooling. Do you really want that someone playing with your car?
- A mobile tuner cannot perform a custom tune to the vehicle despite all their false promises. How on earth are they to develop and test something custom at the side of the road? The file they load will be from whoever their tool is slaved too. The price might be good, but do you really think it will work as well as a fully developed tune/calibration?
In Llandow we have two dyno cells offering 2WD vehicle tuning and our tuning partners in Copenhagen and Sula both have a 4WD dynos.
We can cater for any kind of vehicle, even one that doesn't support our chassis dyno by using a sophisticated on-car dyno. We get can results that are as accurate as a chassis dyno but on any wheel configuration.
Every tune for a vehicle with a factory fitted ECU at stage 1 and stage 1+ has been developed on a dyno to ensure maximium peak power is made. A dyno on its own doesn't ensure the amount of power being made is safe, this is what data logging and knock detection equipment is for, which we have and are able to operate on the road or in the dyno cell
Any work outside the scope of a flat rate service is billed per hour worked.
We do not use book times for billing unless agreed in the form of a written estimate.
We will give a written informal estimate as a guide price. If you are happy with the price we will be happy to give a formal written estimate.
If the estimate is going to take us more than 15 minutes (in our opinion) to generate then we will ask for an "estimate fee". If you authorise the work, we will take the fee off any work done.
Why do we do this? Becuase we get lots of people asking for estimate for work we know they will never have done, aka pipe dreamers.
You pay for our time in tuning the vehicle.
If for whatever reason you want a tune modified, we will do this with pleasure. Your satisfaction is our guarantee.
If we cannot tune your vehicle becuase of an inability on our part there will be no charge
For example if you want pops and bang and they aren't loud enough, we will make them louder. If its impossible to make them any louder you don't get a refund.
For example if you bring us a car and we are unable to tune it for whatever reason, you will not be billed.
Modified/Above Stage 3 Vehicles
Naturally the condition of your engine is your own responsibility, but we can provide a wide range of tuning services to vehicles that have been modified including but not limited to standalone ecus, hybrid turbos, injector testing and calibration, throttle body changes etc.
If you’ve changing tuners and have a custom or modified vehicle please don’t take offence but we don’t want to modify other peoples work.
We tune vehicles our way, if you want to discuss our approach to tuning, the time to do so is t the start not the end. If you want it tuned a certain way then hire our dyno equipment and by all means tune it yourself.
In any case we want satisfied customers, If you aren’t satisfied with a tune done by us we will happily modify for it for you.
Leasing and Warraty Questions
You will need to return the vehicle to stock condition prior to handing it back or purchase it outright at the end of the lease.
It is well reported by the press that BMW sends customers bills for immeadetate payment to clear outstanding finance on a vehicle when they discover it has been modified.
i.e. You've put a set of cheap tyres on the car, that aren't approved?
Maybe you've installed a steering wheel cover, is that a modication?
You've installed different alloy wheels or changed their colour?
I think the point is, a small remap to gain a few HP or sticking a turbo on the car or making a V6 into V12 may have different impacts.
What about if your car has been modified before you bought it? Does that invalidte your insurance too?
In any case, it is probably best to ask your insurer what they think.
This is perhaps another reason to go to an established tuner rather than a chap with a laptop on a car park.
It is also worth checking the "Will My Car wear out quicker?" question as there are other issues to consider.
Simply perform more oil changes and expect induction hoses to be under more pressure
- Stage 1 is the basic level of Tuning a vehicle where no modifications have been made to any engine system. It is completly safe and will not require you to change how you look after the vehicle
- Stage 1 + is the next level, typically you need to modify the exhaust system to get to Stage 1+. Modiciations that enable a Stage 1+ map include DPF and EGR Deletes.
- Stage 2 capablity is reached when you add inducation modifications like updated Intercoolers, Air Filters, Induction Pipes etc
- Stage 3 incorporates everything above stage 2. The kind of modifcations range from larger turbos to a wild cams. It really means VERY CUSTOM.
If you've been to a tuner that has told you otherwise, run to the hills.
We offer free BMW Courtesy cars to enable you to get around whilst we work on your car.
If you have a tuning box connected to the fuel rail we will offer you a full money back guarantee that we can improve the performance of the car using a remap/tune. How about if we don't get more power than the tuning box we won't charge you?
If you have one fitted, rip it out.
Putting Facts back in to Tuning
- Tuning is simply the modification of a vehicles engine to perform better
- Remapping is a term used to describe modifying a Map or Curve on the Engine ECU to perform some effect. Sometimes more power, indeed sometimes less.
- Chipping or Chip Tuning is a term from an older age where we had to remove the old PROM or EPROM from the vehicle modify it and place it back in, I suppose the term started in the Eighties with the advent of ECU's and all those firms supplying in "super chips"
- Is it a £4 bottle of plonk or a £20 bottle?
- How has the file been tested?
- What does the person installing the remap know about cars? Can he perform an initial inspection to ensure there isn't some underlaying issue with the car?
- If it all goes wrong and he bricks the ECU, what is he going to do about it? Does he have the equipment to fix it? Is he simply going to do a runner? Or might he just pass the buck and blame the car. Don't worry if this happens call us, we fix lots of "tuned" cars
Naturally we have master tooling so we modify each and every files inhouse.
Do we test every car on the dyno? No. There is no need. But the software that has been applied by us has always been tested on a similar car
We do however test every vehicle on the road and using the dealer tooling find out if any faults have been logged.
We are able to offer pre and post dyno runs for all vehicles either on a rolling road or using our on-road dyno system